The demand and absence of skilled labor is a huge challenge for remodelers across North America. We hear it from our Roundtables Members as well as from our associates, sponsors and Podcast guests.
In this episode Victoria and Mark explore different ways to tackle the issue, and welcome Dan Hurst to the show to talk about how his firm effectively creates a culture and career path that provides opportunities for his staff to learn and develop new skills.
Dan is the President / General Manager of Hurst Design Build Remodel in Westlake, OH and is actively involved in NARI as well as a Master Certified Remodeler and Certified Lead Carpenter.
Dan, Victoria and Mark talk more about:
- Things you can do to create a culture and provide a path to grow your own skilled workforce
- Why there is a need to develop your own staff vs. hiring
- Creating opportunities for your employees to learn and develop new skills
- What a typical career path might look like
- Managing and helping your staff achieve their career goals
- The fear of investing time and energy into developing someone, only to have them leave